I was reading this line from The Book of Deuteronomy and a line jumped out at me so I wish to comment on it. First, here is the verse from The New American Bible: “Your little ones, who you said would become booty, and your children, who as yet do not know good from bad—they shall enter; to them I will give it, and they shall occupy it.”
My response: Yahweh was mad at Moses and the vast majority of the rebellious, stiff-necked, sinning Hebrews that did not follow or worship Him unreservedly, so their punishment is that almost all of them would die in the desert, outside the Promised Land, never to step foot in the Promised land, but the children, who yet were innocent, who as yet did not know good from bad, they would be allowed to enter the Promised Land and to occupy it.
Now both Yahweh and I know children are not born innocent but basically corrupt, but that until their late teens or early adulthood, their psychological, emotional, rational and volitional attributes are not yet fully developed and trained up, so they are innocent, more or less, for all practical purposes of being judgement-worthy and punishable by Yahweh for their future offenses.
This remarkable line reveals much about human nature, and the covenant between humans and Yahweh results in what Yahweh demands of His human children.
Here is this same line from the Holy Bible (KJV): “Moreover your little ones, which you said should be a prey, and your children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and evil, they shall go in thither, and unto to them will I give it, and they shall possess it.”
No comments:
Post a Comment