Monday, February 20, 2012

Knee Injury

Journal Entry: 11-21-2011:

I blew out the MCL on my knee, last Thursday, 11-17-2011, at work. I am receiving workers' compensation and will be seeing the surgeon this afternoon.

While eating breakfast, I was staring out the kitchen glass door when I noticed a fat, woolly gray squirrel raiding frozen pie apples off of our tree.

It occurred to me that squirrels stash away food for the winter and build a nest high on a branch to winter in. Do they hibernate, semi-hibernate, or just lie low, moving about on warmer winter days? I do not know but if they have a ready food source available like these frozen apples there for the taking, they will move about on winter days to supplement what food that they have stored. Today is about 25 degrees and Mr. Squirrel is enjoying a feast.

Then the analogy came to me. If Mr. Squirrel has built his nest and stored away his food for the winter,  it is enterprising of him to insure that he makes it through the winter by adding to his stash, or by eating fresh groceries.

Should not a human go into retirement with her with her nest egg large, ample and secure enough to last her to the end of her days? Of course. Like enterprising Mr. Squirrel, the enterprising woman should continue to work part-time after retirement not to have to deplete her stash too early, too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment