Monday, February 13, 2023

Abortion

 

It is hard to imagine a more divisive issue than abortion. I am very torn over this complex, ugly, unavoidable issue upon which I must take a stand, irking extremists from both sides of the debate.

 

I have always been a feminist and want women to have a career, individuation, plus a husband and children.

 

I would like for abortion to legal, safe and rare, and perhaps 50% of abortions being by pill helps. My view is out of date.

 

I love my religious, conservative friends, and I do believe that life, spiritually and biologically, for the baby begins at the moment of conception, but the mother has a soul too, so her needs cannot be easily pushed aside. This is a messy, complicated issue.

 

The problem with the cultural war and divide over the issue of abortion in 2023 is that there is no room for compromise. Conservatives want to outlaw all abortion, including cases of rape, incest and even to save the life of the mother. That pure stance against the rights of the mothers is too extreme, and, as a spiritual and moral moderate, I have and do maintain that the extremist response to any or most more issues is evil, and to be shunned and not adopted.

 

The pro-abortion people now seem to love abortion and are now for infanticide or close to it, with abortions right up to the moment of birth, and even afterwards should the fetus survive the abortion attempt. Their disregard for the souls of the fetuses, that are babies, is too extreme and hard-hearted the other way.

 

Perhaps, abortions should not be allowed after the first trimester, unless to save the mother’s life.

 

I am mostly pro-life, but the pro-choice people have some insights too that should be honored.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment