Friday, September 23, 2016

The Mailman

I have three days off to go up to the lake. The family went on ahead, and I am finishing up some chores around the yard. For two years, I have been irritated with mail carriers not closing the south gate.

This morning I watched the carrier struggle to close the gate. He has delivered the mail here for years. He was not careless, the gate had sagged and was catching on uneven ground as he went down the hill into the neighbor's yard.

He told me the hinge on the bottom of the gate was turned half way around, and that gave the gate slack to sag. I went and got a three pound hammer and banged the hinge back to its proper position.

He said if he had his wrenches with him, he would have tightened it up. I joked, "You go ahead and I will buy you breakfast." He laughed and left.

I went and got a wrench and tightened up the hinge bolts. A connecting strap, that holds the post that the gate is fastened to, has given way, allowing the post to sag forward. I will adjust that before I head for the lake.

Owning a property requires constant maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment