Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Drayton, North Dakota

Recently, I made a flying business trip 400 miles northwest of here to check on a piece of farmland that we inherited and own. I stayed overnight at a small motel on the freeway about 30 mile from my parents farm.

I was carrying about 10 firearms from pistols to revolvers, to long guns and a semiautomatic rifle. With a bunch of construction workers outside drinking beer, listening to music and grilling 30 feet from my truck, I was not going to leave that arsenal in the back seat of the truck overnight, so I hauled two trips worth of cased firearms openly passed the 69 year old night auditor, at the front desk.

She never batted an eyelash, looking nonchalant and indifferent as if I was hauling my brief case and laptop passed her. I did inform her that after visiting my property up north, I was headed for the lake and our favorite gun club for sports shooting for a few days.

Imagine if I walked passed the night auditor with that arsenal at a small hotel that I know, close to the University of Minnesota campus. There would be a collection of half a dozen squad cars surrounding the hotel, with short gun drawn, waiting to apprehend me.

America needs a whole lot more of North Dakota and a whole lot less of New York City. We gun rights folk are working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment