Friday, July 13, 2018

The Woodpecker

No one knows everything and everyday the world will teach us if we will observe and listen. I was working by what I refer to as our South Flower Bed. The is a mulberry weed tree that volunteered in the neighbor's yard. It is now almost 30 feet high and is covered with perhaps thousands of tasty, edible berries. Chickadees, robins, goldfinches and other are enjoying a well-deserved feast on these berries the last two weeks.

One evening I was hauling buckets of compost for placement around a bed, and I heard a red-bellied woodpecker up in the mulberry tree eating berries. He was not 20 feet away eating berries. He had the smart looking red-capped head, and it shown brilliantly in the evening sun. He saw me and fled immediately, I would not have imagined that a woodpecker would eat fruit, but this one sure did.

No comments:

Post a Comment