Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Sick Management Style

When I have served as a supervisor or chief engineer, my aim was to govern as a democratic supervisor, and I think I mostly succeeded. I divided my workers into keepers and non-keepers. The keepers I would try to help improve. The non-keepers I would try to counsel and work with in order that they could stay as part of the team. Most did respond favorably to the counseling, but some rebelled and had to be let go. I found one facilties team with managers and supervisors that were ruthless fanatics. In their mind none were keepers, and all were expendable. Any infraction was disciplined, and the turn over rate was kept very high to keep wages low. Their motto was to work employees to death, fire them for any failure and turn them over rapidly, without regret. When I had workers that were dependable, on time, industrious, clever, skilled, willing to help the team, and kind to clients, I was inclined to retain them, for they were team members to be valued, kept, enjoyed and promoted. These foolish, cruel managers, bottom feeders, actually, set standards so high that inevitably every one would fail. Then the bosses would go into rages and fire people right and left. This cruel, unrealistic standard really was a reign of terror. They were maximizing profits in the short run, not taking care of the property in the long run. They ran the property down like slum landlords, putting no dollars into needed upkeep. They got their commission by minimizing expenses, and maximizing quick buck profits, allowing the property to deteriorate. Good employees were dismissed as quickly as bad employees were.

No comments:

Post a Comment