Saturday, December 13, 2014

The Nature of Spirit

12-13-2014: This morning I was saying my prayers to the Good Spirits as I drove to the airport passing the National Cemetery. I have always been a superstitious rationalist, so I cease praying to God and the Good Spirits whenever I drive by a cemetery or funeral home, to ward off back luck.

I pondered at how absurd and unnecessary this response is, but I will continue to do it, as I have for years--it is just my approach. I still suffer a lot from that irrational, primordial human fear of death, and thus we associate death with evil and misfortune, a correspondence that may or may not be actual.

I thought: if I am praying to Good Spirits, that are dead and in the same realm of pure spirit, as are departed mortals in the ground and in a funeral home, why should I bother to stop praying when all are neighbors now, and all likely know what I am praying and detect that I am present, since all utilize mental telepathy now?

I pondered farther: perhaps I have mischaracterized how this all is arranged. Fate, the Mother, the Father, Satan, and Lera--and all their good and evil angelic underlings--reside predominantly in the realm of spirit, but the physical world is still a part--albeit a minority part--of their constitutions.

Human beings are animals living in the natural world. They are animate matter, biological beings with souls. Their alive bodies are the physical, majority part of their makeup, and their souls are the minority, spiritual parts of their makeup.

The spiritual properties of both mortal and immortal creatures, then is the eternal aspect of the makeup of every creature on either side of the divide. What is physical about them perishes and rots in this world, and may or may not be corruptible in the next world. Likely the physical bodies of the immortals is eternal or near eternal.

Biological life dies but what is spiritual, the ghost in the machine lives forever.

In light of this, when I pass a mortuary or cemetery, I need feel neither superstitious and dread, or obsession and hyper-focus on the presence of the dead among the living. Actually, that interchange is constant and rife. Rather, I should pray and go about my business, not worried about the presence of the dead. It is another weakness for me to attend to.

No comments:

Post a Comment