Saturday, September 5, 2015

Returning Home

I had that rare weekend off so Andy and I headed for the hunting property, In the near 90 degree heat, I cut up a dead elm, 65 feet high and three feet around, threatening our shed and propane tank.

We posted our property with signs that I made, to keep poachers and slippery neighbors off the property. I notice fresh ATV tracks going back into the woods. I do not know it is a poacher, or the neighbor's teenage son wandering where he is not to be.. Everything is posted now, but it is impossible to patrol when one lives 87 miles south.

We installed curtain rods in the new deer stand, so we can hang curtains.

I saw an American redstart warbler, and another deep in the woods that I will have to look in the book for. He may have been a northern parula.

When we arrived this morning, a bunch of crows were screaming at something in a tree 350 south of the house, likely a horned owl killing them at night. They try to harass him out of the neighborhood.

We found two species of four foot tall phlox, one white and one pink: we will need to dig them tomorrow when we return and plant them in the yard in Bloomington.

Lots of deer sign: ground rubs are numerous, and the apple trees are stripped for 8 feet up, all around the trees as the does stand on their hind feet to snatch all the tasty fruit that they can reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment