Monday, September 5, 2016

Labor Day Happenings

Andy and I got a late start but we ran up to Mora to see how the hunting property was going. I packed two guns, a chain saw, and told Andy to toss in the cordless drill. I carry these tools habitually.

We got up there about two o'clock. The first thing I noticed was that the farm house door was open about a foot. I turned to Andy and remarked that we had been hit.

They pried the lock off the shed but did not take tools or yard implements there. By kicking the door in, they destroyed the door frame for the strike side of the lock. We spent almost three hours rebuilding the frame so that we could reinstall the  strike and to be able to lock both locks. We were successful, using what we had around, and there was no additional cost.

I called Kanabec County to report the break in. An hour later a deputy drove into the yard. He got out, and had his hand on his pistol while approaching me. I kept my hands by my side and made no sudden movements, and talked calmly, and quietly to him. Cops have a rough job, and he was much more wary than the young deputy out two years ago when they stole our picnic table. He did fine, for cops have been called to lure them into ambushes long before this.

We concluded our business and he said he would drive through the yard once in awhile. I thanked him, and told him the name of one neighbor allowed on the posted property. I said if he wanted to detain anyone else, that is fine with me.

They took nothing for there was little of value for them--no cash, no guns, no expensive power equipment, no jewelry, not electronics to speak of.

Ten years ago, they burgled our cabin in northern Minnesota, and took very little, but they did 400 dollars worth of damage to the door and stain glass windows surrounding the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment