Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Exodus 20:7

 

The third of the Ten Commandments will be quoted and interpreted below. I will quote this commandment from The New American Bible: “You shall not take the name of the Lord, your God, in vain. For the Lord will not leave unpunished him who takes his name in vain.”

 

My response: Now the way that I was raised up was to not swear using God’s name (I sometimes do when I am furious or startled, though I regret it immediately and apologize to the good deity in question.) I do not much do that anymore, but Dennis Prager and Jordan Peterson have both suggested a deeper way, far more sinful and offensive to God, to take God’s name in vain.

 

This occurs apparently when a person does evil in God’s name. God hates wickedness and fights wickedness with relish, courage, victory, and resolve. When someone claims to worship God, and then does evil in God’s name, that is an abomination unto God and will not go unpunished. It is something for all of us to think about

 

Here is this same quote from the Holy Bible (KJV): “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.”

No comments:

Post a Comment