Saturday, December 6, 2014

The Turkeys

I am seeing a flock of toms coming out of the woods on the back of the Minnesota River. These likely are the same flock I see over by the airport. They are beautiful.

I wish I could get a turkey license up at our farmhouse north of town to go turkey hunting. So few licenses there.

I saw two red-tailed hawks today by the airport. They have adapted to humans.

When I gassed up the shuttle for the hotel this morning, I noticed15 to 20 Canadian gees slept over night on a grassy knoll of Poor Richard's, a local bar and eatery.

When I swung the shuttle onto American Boulevard from the gas station, half of the sleeping/resting geese got up and ran away. They seem to have some skill with navigating traffic. If I am right about this, that would be a fascinating example of cretaures evolving to survive in a human environment, while remaining wild fowl.

Much of Bloomington 50 years of go was corn fields. Now it is 7 miles wide with suburband sprawl.

If we disappeared, nature would quickly reclaim its lost space. Nature will live and adapt after we are gone. My speculation is, if we are angels on earth, in the future, operating, living out and enriching our high civilization, would not our individual and collective consciousness create a psychic climate that would impact how nature interacts with, responds to and evolves the presence of such developed, sentient beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment