Saturday, March 10, 2018

From Kentucky

Last year, I ran into two van riders from Kentucky. One articulate, retired Louisville cop was a guy I picked up at the airport. I asked him why he had no accent. He retorted that kids in Kentucky have southern accents, and, of course, hayseed farmers and blue collar workers. He was an urban snob and elitist looking down on those he construed as inferior, clinging to their southern accent.

Another time, I encountered an educated, prosperous woman from the deep south, an obvious liberal. I responded to her remarks by self-referring to myself as a northern redneck. She disagreed that anyone would want to be associated with rednecks, so uneducated and missing teeth.

I retorted that I share a lot of their values. She was so snotty, so condescending and supercilious towards rednecks. Many Progressives look down on blue collar conservatives as inferior.

In reality, their traditional, southern values are superior values, akin to what the Founder Fathers taught and believed.

No comments:

Post a Comment