Friday, August 24, 2018

Ethical Egoism As Normative

I am not much of a scholar but I have been deeply influenced by Philosophy Professor Alexander Moseley's article on egoism in the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy. He describes ethical egoism as an ethical program prescribed by backers of egoism that urge that people should follow their own self-interest, and indeed it is their duty to follow their own self-interest. He refers to this ethical view as a normative one. I have adopted his use of the technical word "normative" as how I prescribe my version of ethical egoism, that we are ordered by the Ultimate Individualists, the Mother and the Father, to pursue our self-interest, but it must be an enlightened, heavenly, ennobling self-interest that fills us and all that we encounter with love.

Moseley uses the world descriptive as typical of psychological egoism, in that it describes a view of human nature that we naturally, mostly or wholly, are motivated by self-interest. I am borrowing his phrase descriptive to describe how we are naturally motivated, but I characterize people as psychological altruists, more than naturally being psychological egoists. I also conclude that this innate failing is why we are in such trouble as creatures, and make so much trouble for the world and ourselves. We cannot help it. We just are this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment