Monday, June 7, 2021

The Functionary

Today, 6/7/21, I drove up to city hall at New Brighton, Mn., to get my driver's license renewed as the upgraded real license. I intended to get there at 7am but got there at 730 instead, needing to be at work in Minneapolis. at 9am I noticed a sign outside announcing that those seeking to renew their driver licenses needed an online appointment in advance to get service. I went in: there were three clerks at their stations, and one man checking people in. I asked if I could get my license by walking in. He said no but I could have an appointment for 345 that afternoon, so I took the appointment and left; He would not budge. The clerks were standing around with nothing to do, and he could have ruled in my favor. As I left, he smartly said to my back, "Have a nice day." When does justice, mercy and common sense enter the thinking of a civil servant? I went to work and skipped lunch and filled out an absence slip and burned two hours of vacation to get back there by 315pm. I did not get waited on until about 345pm, and the process took another half an hour. We taxpayers pay their salaries, but they see themselves as our bosses. This is why government needs to remain small and limited, lest all liberty disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment