Saturday, November 20, 2021

Long Ago

In 1984 I had a dream of attending U of Minnesota graduate school to get my doctorate in philosophy. I was not to be allowed into the PHD program Professor Dahl warned me back then. I was not a rising star in the opinion of my professors. I would be allowed to finish the Master's program, but would not be admitted to the doctorate program, so I resigned. That dismissal was likely my fault more than theirs. In my own defense, my love of philosophy, my originality, my anticipation of philosophizing was speculative, romantic, idealistic and soaring. These drab, educated bureaucrats were epistemological pessimists, anti-metaphysical in their ontological disposition, with no time for the traditional kind of philosophizing that I was interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment