Thursday, August 27, 2015

Learning New Skills

I was hired at this firm about two months ago, and a warehouse worker was apprenticed in as a electric tugger mechanic about the same time.

He is as big as I am, or close. He is a black gentleman that is half-Italian. He lives in an apartment. He is a bacholor and an inner city St. Paul guy. He has never owned a car, rides the bus to work, and has never operated a computer. He is a fierce worker, and is smart.

I have used computer based work order systems at at least 3 previous jobs, so I picked up this version rather quickly.

The black mechanic has avoided the computer for two months. He walked through the office today when I was inputting jobs done, and the supervisor asked him how it was going with inputting his data.

He blurted out that he was not doing it.  The supervisor responded that that will change right now.

The other mechanic did most of the training, but I showed him some short cuts, when no one else was around, when he was stumped, unsure of himself and depressed about not feeling competent. I told him that if he could ohm out a diode on a tugger that there was nothing in the computer realm that he could not get.

 And in only four hours this guy was cruising through the work order process.

I felt proud of him, and felt good about helping him along. Many times, on many jobs, as a despised outsider with a learning disability and not natural mechanical aptitude, but working in mechanical and practical fields, I have been stymied and thwarted by hostile, snide, resistant white leads and experts that did not share knowledge, or reassure so as to give the learner the confidence to overcome the educational objective.

I do not undercut people's self-esteem, because I love myself as an individuator, and  do not need to be jealous of the success of another thereby repressing and sabotaging them.

My peer may not even have graduated from high school, but he lacks no ability. He could individuate and be an inventor or a composer.

My beef with American black society is how tribal and group living and liberal alibis have kept our blacks from achieving astonishing things. These comments from me are considered racist, but without Mavellonialist training our blacks will never soar, never complete the assignment given them by the Good Spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment