Tuesday, October 6, 2020

More On Peterson

 I listen to lots of You Tube videos as I drive to and from work, and Jordan Peterson, a brilliant, good and decent man, psychologist and philosopher, is a bit of a snob. This is understandable because he views the world from his lofty perch of natural brilliance,  a genius with his IQ of 150, so he assumes that hierarchies are biologically necessitated by our very natures, and he likely is accurate about this. He refers to hierarchies of power and hierarchies of competence.

In honest, efficient hierarchies, the competent, brightest people rise to the top of the hierarchy, do most of the inventing and creating, do most of the work and much of the best work, and that is how it should be according to Jordan. Fair enough.

I work for God as an individuator, a living angel and a budding great soul. I believe that even average people as maverizers, maximizing their potential, can be so original, brilliant and insightful that their output will stagger the rest of the world, even much smarter geniuses and maverizers like Jordan.

In a constitutional republic, run by the little people, the millions of individuating anarchist supercitizens, there will still be some institutions and hierarchies of unequal power and competence--I work for God and the Mother and the Father are my bosses, much smarter than I am, and far more powerful, way up at the top of the hierarchy, but I have enough money, power, authority and liberty to feel grateful and satisfied with running this corner of my canton, while the Mother and Father run the universe.

In light of these coming realities, the inequality of talent, the inevitable existence of institutional structures and hierarchies, and the inequality of outcome are true, but not that big a deal. This is how I would reconcile what Jordan is offering with Mavellonialist optimism about the talents of each individual, average or exceptional.



No comments:

Post a Comment