Saturday, December 24, 2022

Singular

 

I have always enjoyed reading Louis L’amour’s Westerns for recreational fun and relaxation. I was reading his book, Flint, today and a phrase jumped out at me: On Page 11 he writes these sentences: “His thoughts returned to the girl on the train. She had been singularly self-possessed, with a quiet beauty not easily forgotten.”

 

What a remarkable way to describe anyone, fictional or real, as singularly self-possessed. From some public history shows that my family and I watched, it seemed that Robert E. Lee possessed this trait in spades, noticeable even as a very young man attending West Point.

 

If I may borrow L’amour’s phrase and apply it to an individuators, it could be, that, as they grow in wisdom, alertness, creativity, and brilliance, that they would in personality become singularly self-possessed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment