Thursday, March 26, 2015

Why Three Homes

My brother-in-law asked me this evening why Jane and I have three homes. I love our Bloomington home for work, kids' proximity and our lovely garden.

We love the lake for  its special Minnesota recreational opportunities--quiet star-lit summer nights, loons wailing at 3 in the morning, running to the gun club, fishing, drinking beer, and fussing in the woods.

We love the old farm house with its front yard of 75 foot white oaks, and 28 acres of back yard, with endless Minnesota forest, with hardworking, solid neighbors.

I answered to Ron: Ron, I do not live like anyone else, nor do I see the world with the perspective of anyone else. So having three homes, for now, works for us, so I cannot give you reasons that make sense to you; they only make sense to us.

He agreed. He said: "You do not see the world like anyone else."

I am not unusual from the bird's eye view of history. Great souls always follow the beat of a different drummer. To individuate is to grow in solitary, idiosyncratic ways. That person, of whom I am one, will see the world in a different light, and adopt values, not commonon to regular, nonindividuating groupists.

As one rises up out of the ranks of the groupists and dares to stand out, one is answering the beckoning from the Good Spirits to be singular, to perfect and make a contribution back to the Creators through one's life work.

As one does such, how can one ever keep the old values and see the world within the parameters of subjective, group values? This is why I do not live as others do, or see the world as others do.

I have only done what any one of us can do and should do. The opportunity to become a great soul is open to all. Go for it--do it--become it. See the world then, from your point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment