Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Adaptive Behavior

I was coming home from the lake this last Sunday afternoon, but I was cutting across country to check our our hunting property at Mora (I have pumpkins hills growing there as dear food this fall.). On the road east from Highway 64, the paved road eastward from Dad Elwell's corner to Pine River, I saw a button buck in a pond of water off to the right. He was in the pond up to his neck, just standing there enjoying the relief from the hot, muggy weather.

But, as I drove east further, it occurred to me that the deer flies were real numerous, thick and aggressive this year. By immersing his small, young body in the water, he could get relief from being stung and his blood sucked out by these awful insects. He had found a way to gain some relief.

Nature can be terrible and brutal, about raw tooth and fang, life and death, eat or be eaten, but it is never without beauty, wonder, and new behaviors.

No comments:

Post a Comment