Monday, April 13, 2015

We Do Not Live In Fairyland

We do reside in and must live in the real world. We are beasts more than angels, born depraved, in need of divine grace, forgiveness and redemption to survive, thrive and be spiritually saved.

This weekend, on 4-11-2015, I took two sisters to a gas station from the hotel so they could buy a local paper. I was called on the walkie to go to the airport while bringing them back to the hotel.

The one sister was a 5th grade teacher from St. Louis, but they originated from the UP. She told me that I had an upper Midwest accent, really accentuated on the walkie in the way I elongated my o's and u's. She offered that that dialect is the one they spoke as children in the UP.

She went on and said she had never lost this accent, and which her neighbors in St. Louis lovingly kid her about.

We talked about regional dialects and the other sister pointed out that robins from different areas of the country have different song dialects and variations.

After I dropped them off and was headed to the airport, I was pondering this exchange. If humans exhibit dialectical language differences, region by region, as do robins (other birds and mammals, may I speculate) then this dialectical disperseness may well tie humans to robins and other creatures of nature.

If we are part of nature then, then our depravity is shared by robins too. But where instinct controls them almost entirely--little free will--humans wield comparatively much more free will, for humans instincts only hold us back so much. We require good moral instruction and spiritual wellness imparted to us from the Good Spirits so that we can best our fallen natures.

No comments:

Post a Comment