Thursday, April 26, 2018

Shrewd Dealers

We pulled an $1800 heater out of our farm house up north and tried to sell it on Craig's list--not one nibble in 100 mile radius. Bloomington has community garbage pick up day (an annual event in April) on Saturday (4/28/18).

Scavengers with trucks and trailers prowl the streets for a week in advance of the trash collecting to salvage deals. My son and I put out the heater after work today, and I thought it would be gone in an hour. The propane furnace has some minor rust on the heat exchanger, but otherwise is only 6 years old.

Two guys, a truck and a trailer loaded the LP heater and flue 20 minutes after we put it out on the berm. These stinkers would not give me a penny for it through advertising, but they nabbed it for free as soon as it was free. Pretty clever guys who knew real value, right away.

I am no canny negotiator, which is why I do not gamble, am not a realtor, salesperson nor auctioneer.

No comments:

Post a Comment