Saturday, April 21, 2018

The Discussion

I was discussing theology with a close friend and this person informed me that she was a monotheist, but that belief must seem simplistic to me.

I was taken aback by that remark. My quick response was, no, I never characterize the religious beliefs of anyone as simplistic. First, of all the communion between God and the believer is a singular, complex phenomenon, so private and personal, that no outside like me has a right to put a label on it, let alone call the relationship and accompanying beliefs simplistic.

Second, any relationship involving God cannot be simplistic because if God is not all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-loving, De is awfully close to possessing such traits, and there is nothing simplistic about the Almighty.

Third, there is always an element of uncertainty and relativism inherent to belief or unbelief, and there is the inevitable basing the religious outlook on faith. I believe what I believe but we have no logic, scientific experiment or revealed, certain truth to lay out the case of what is what regarding belief.

Absolute claims are not sure proofs of correctness. Educated guesses, the love of truth, shrewd, naturalistic analogies, honest searching for ultimate answers and revealed truth are means of arrving at religious belief. These are the means by which we arrive at or support our acquired or inherited religious outlooks. None is qualified to declare that someone's religious belief is simplistic or complex.

All I ask and condemn is those that openly, willingly worship and serve evil deities and demons.

No comments:

Post a Comment