Sunday, November 20, 2022

Calvin Thomkins On Eric Hoffer



 Calvin Thomkins wrote a biography on Eric Hoffer, called Eric Hoffer. On Page 53 he quotes Hoffer talking about all the groups that want him to speak to them: "Among the groups and organizations that seek him out, Hoffer says, the most persistent are the Jesuits, the Jews, and the psychiatrists. 'Every day I get letters from monsignors, from bishops--and I am a nonbeliever!' Hoffer shouts with delight at the irony. 'They tell me I am a theologian. My theology is theology of the souls, you see--I believe that God and the devil are fighting their battle, not in heaven but in man's soul. And I have a definition of God--anything that humanizes is God, anything that dehumanizes is the devil.'"

For an atheist Hoffer had a keen appreciation of good and evil and the divine battle between God and the devil. That eternal war between them is fought in heaven, in nature, in outer space and especially in the human souls as Hoffer noted.

Hoffer defines God as what humanizes humans and the devil as what dehumanizes them.

I assign to Hoffer at least one set of propositions that render this quote believable.

If Hoffer is an implicit egoist (I believe he is,) he would want human's, their pride, their self-esteem elevated and humanized, and my Mavellonialist maverization exemplies and amplifies this unfolding ambition.

Altruist ethics keep people down and back, suppressed and oppressed. And group-living altruists, with little self-esteem, are enslaved and herded nonindividuators. They are exploited, dehumanized and made to suffer, so their low self-esteem is the product of their dehumanized, wicked lifestyle.


No comments:

Post a Comment