Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Genesis 42:38


 I knew that the ancient Hebrews believed in an afterlife and a netherworld, but theologians do not accept this view unanimously. But this line from Genesis seems to support Hebrew belief in an afterlife. Here is Jacob's remarks from The New American Bible: "But Jacob replied: 'My son shall not go down with you. Now that his full brother is dead, he is the only one left. If some disaster should befall him on the journey you must make, you would send my white head down to the nether world in grief.'"

Let me quote this same verse from the Holy Bible (KJV): "And he said, My son shall not go down with you; for his brother is dead, and he is left alone: if mischief befall him by the way in which ye go, then shall ye bring down my gray hairs with sorrow to the grave."

Now, this translation refers to Sheol or the grave, not to an afterlife, so it is a much for conservative interpretation. The contrast is stark.

No comments:

Post a Comment