Wednesday, May 27, 2015

5-27-2015

Many of my best moral lessons come from personal experience. Let me relate what happened to me today.

I am a maintenance technician and groundskeeper at a prominent parking ramp by MSP airport, and this is my main job.

Today, the dispatcher, the fleet mechanic and I were arranging traffic cones to steer cars away from parking on the 2nd level, so that a crew can come in and paint the floor. All traffic was directed to the third floor.
A white businessmen in a new car, about 50 year old, was enroute to the third floor to park, when he stopped to address us. This weasel, and low-life, innocently asked us who we work for. I said we worked for the ramp, which I suspect that he already knew.

Then he sprung his trap: he asked what we could tell him about the company web site that had been hacked and private information had been compromised. I, being cautious with the public, and knowing in advance never to characterize the company--especially in a negative way--to a customer, did the talking for the three of us. I answered that whatever information that he wanted could be best given him by the ramp manager down in the office.

The weasel smirked, closed his window and drove away. He had sprung his gotcha trap on me, and had failed to elicit a response that would embarrass me, get me disciplined, or even fired for maligning my employer, or divulging sensitive information.

Whether one is an altruist or a Mavellonialist eogist, people roughly fit into two categories. There are the decent, kind people out to hurt none and to be injured by none. They are the peacemakers.

Then there are those like Mr. Weasel that dislike himself so much that he gets some sick satisfaction by hurting others. These creeps stir up endless trouble, and cause wars. They hurt others for no gain for anyone.

Do not seek to embarrass or humiliate an employee just so you can call his boss to get him called on the carpet. Be a peacemaker, not a trouble-maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment