Sunday, September 8, 2019

Psalm 95, 7-11

Be open-hearted and obey God, receive with cheer and assent the calling from the Mother and Father to maverize, and see De will done: "Oh, today that you would hear his voice: 'Harden not your hearts as at Meribah, as in the day of Massah in the desert, Where your fathers tempted me; they tested me though they had seen my works. Forty years I loathed that generation, and I said: They are a people of erring heart, and they know not my ways. Therefore I swore in my anger: They shall not enter my rest."

We are corrupt sinners that are robots, more than free-willers. But we do still wield some residual free will, and are a capable of spiritual and ethical improvement. With that residual freedom and capacity to reform and become better, God imposes upon us responsibility and accountability for choosing to obey God's calling, or to harden our hearts and sin forever more.

God allows us freedom, but divine justice will be passed on our souls when our lives are over, and if we, like the ancient, rebellious Hebrews defy God, then we may not enter the Promised Land either here on earth or in Heaven. Is it worth the risk?

No comments:

Post a Comment