Tuesday, August 29, 2023

The 8th Plague, Exodus 10:1-2

 

In Exodus the Pharaoh was obdurate, and would not let God’s people go, and opposing God’s wishes and commandments is suicide in this world and the next. Pharaoh remained obstinate, so Yahweh was going to up the ante of punishment again, and he explains to Moses why he hardened their hearts, Now, I think God may make people more stubborn against him, if, they, prior and of their own free will, have communicated to God that they are rebellious, defiant and will remain so, no matter what. Yahweh knows their hearts much better than they do, and, since they have freely chosen to oppose Yahweh and live in since and corruption going forward, then it seems acceptable that Yahweh would harden their hearts even further against him, and then punish them for their militant, consistent rebellion against their benevolent deity. They asked for it and now they are going to get it big time, not an enviable place to be.

 

From The New American Bible: What follows is what Yahweh said Moses: “Then the Lord said to Moses, ‘Go to Pharaoh, for I have made him and his servants obdurate in order that I may perform these signs of mine among them and that you may recount to your son and grandson how ruthlessly I dealt with the Egyptians and what signs I wrought among them, so that you may know that I am the Lord.”

 

My response: Since Pharaoh and his servants willed to go all the way in defying Yahweh, Yahweh said, okay, let us go all the way so that your people, my people and all people can realize that thought the Hebrews are my chosen people, they are not my only people, and you are not just pagan, but you are an evil king, and your outrageous treatment of God and God’s people will be addressed by me, with these signs or plagues sent to you and against you, to the world know about my power and my sometimes ruthless justice should you not relent, and you seem hellbent not to yield the Lord, your Master, not just the Hebraic master. By your recalcitrance and suffering, you will come to know that I am the Lord.

 

There are underlying themes at work here: monotheism (just) versus polytheism ( unjust and about divinities are corrupt and powerful, or do not even exist, good versus evil, slavery is a cruel, godless state versus liberty and released from bondage is a state of justice and God’s kingdom on earth, and, finally, the message from Yahweh to the Hebrews and their neighbors, like the Egyptians, that Judaism—and later Christianity—that the message from the Lord of love, hope and salvation for all that seek it is available for Hebrews and non-Hebrews alike.

 

Here are those same passages from the Holy Bible (KJV): “And the Lord said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh: for I have hardened his heart, and the heart of his servants, that I might show my signs before them.  And thou mayest tell in the ears of thy son, and of thy son’s son, what things I have wrought in Egypt. And my signs which I have done among them; that ye may know that I am the Lord.”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment