Saturday, December 30, 2017

Seven Below Zero

In the morning last week it was 7 below zero as I pulled up to a BP gas station to refuel with a company credit card for the service van I drive. I put gas on and the reader did not print out a receipt that I need to turn in. This is in Plymouth Mn. a wealthy suburb. The only worker there was a 70 year old grandmother, efficiently running the place by herself with 3 or 4 customers transacting.

I asked for a receipt and she gave me one, sincerely apologizing for the failed gas pump printer. She complained that everything is frozen and failing this morning. I smiled, and reassured her that we expect these things on a morning like this. She looked so relieved and grateful. Other customers had been chewing her out for failed technology. Severe winter cold affects everything, and beating up some low-paid grandmother is counterproductive and rude. I made her day little brighter, and felt good for not hassling her undeservedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment