Sunday, December 23, 2018

The Natural Law of Moderation--Its Implications

I believe in the natural law of moderation in most things done or chosen, but not in all things. I can neither prove nor disprove with absolute knowledge or with complete assurance or complete certainty that this law exists and governs the world everywhere, forever. I am probably certain that this law exists and does govern the world everywhere (most of the time) for a very long time.

Regarding the existence of an eternal moral order, or its nonexistence, I can only assert that its existence and influence is what it is stated to be, with probable certainty. That is the law of moderation at work again in matters of faith, epistemology and metaphysics. I believe that my privisional but powerful support for that  eternal moral order is strong enough for the laws and tenets deduced  from that eternal moral order to have the force of natural law, legal statute and societal custom.

No comments:

Post a Comment