Saturday, October 8, 2022

The Situation


 Something is going on in America, and I am not sure how to describe it. In plainer words, I am not sure what is going on (something is going on), but since I do not know what and why it is occurring, I cannot offer productive fixes for it. Let me try explaining what is going on.

My wife and I were up at our cabin northwest of the cites 2 weeks ago, in the middle of the week, which is unusual for us ( we usually go up on the weekends). On a Thursday morning we drove into Nevis to have breakfast at our favorite restaurant. It was closed. The cook called in sick and there was no waitress so the owners (retirement age or close, running the store and gas station within the same complex as their small restaurant), both there, closed the restaurant for the day. They sent us to Zappas in Akeley, a few miles away, where we had a delicious breakfast.

On Thursday I drove to Mora to work on our property for two days, and I stayed overnight in our Nomad Skyline RV. When I left last night to come home, I stopped at Jerry’s Bait Shop to get my deer hunting license.

The owner told me that she cannot get help in her adjacent restaurant, so she has to post reduced hours and closely early often. She and her husband are working 7 days a week, 70 hours a week, and her sister, the cook rebelled, and insists or reduced hours, because she cannot work the 14 hour shifts any longer.

The owner wanted fast food in North Branch a few days ago, and they had reduced hours.

On Wednesday, I stopped at Coborns coming through and bought doughnuts. They usually have three or four lines open, but were down to 2 lines, and my cashier was very slow but competent, but she was 75 years old, about 1/3 the speed of the regular cashiers. The guy behind me was furious, loudly complaining about her, and the fact that "they only had two lines open".

He was retired for goodness sake. Was he in that big of a hurry? The little old lady was doing the best she could, and the store manager was likely tickled that she was there doing the job. I thought the guy was selfish and without gratitude. I did not say anything.

Now for the analysis: a PhD in economics and one in sociology could explain what is going on and why, and what would be the solution.

Here is my analysis. Urban, suburban and especially rural America is experiencing severe labor shortages, especially in the service industry, but I am seeing in my trades field too.

What is going on? As unskilled, young, blue-collar, and poor people have a plethora of jobs to choose among, they are rejecting the less skilled, more arduous, lower-paying jobs for better, better-paying jobs.

Some young and adult members of society do not want to work, so they do not work, living with their parents, or parasitizing their partner, stealing, and selling drugs, or staying on the dole undeservedly, or accepting bleak poverty and near starvation rather than going to work like responsible adults.

There also is a labor shortage.

Workers are not loyal to their employer at all anymore, so they quit and desert their post routinely.

I do not know what the solution is but Biden bringing in 5 million illegal immigrants across his intentionally open border is not the solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment