Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Exodus 4:10-16

 

God selected Moses to be his spokesperson and to lead the people out of Egypt, but Moses really did not want to fulfill his calling from Yahweh; read the excerpt from The New American Bible: “Moses, however, said to the Lord, ‘If you please, Lord, I am never been eloquent, neither in the past, nor recently, nor now that you have spoken to your servant; but I am slow of speech and tongue. The Lord said to him, ‘Who gives one man speech and makes another man deaf and dumb. Or who gives sight to one and makes another blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Go, then! It is I who will assist you in speaking and will teach you what you are to say. Yet he insisted, ‘If you please Lord, send someone else! Then the Lord become angry with Moses and said, ‘Have you not your brother, Aaron the Levite? I know that he is an eloquent speaker. Besides, he is now on his way to meet you. When he sees you, his heart will be glad. You are to speak to him, then, and put the words in his mouth. I will assist both him and you in speaking and will teach the two of you what you are to do. He shall speak to the people for you: he shall be your spokesman, and you shall be as God to him.”

 

My response: It marvels me that any human could have a direct conversation with God. That has to be an incredible occurrence, rare and clear. Moses drags his feet until God is angry with him, and one never wants the Higher Power to be furious with one. We should do as commanded to do by our Boss.

 

Aaron may be the better public speaker but it is Moses that Yahweh feels who can best understand God’s speech, and it Moses that he prefers to deal with directly. Moses can use his plain, inarticulate speech to share with Araon Yahweh’s plan. Amazing. One can be a good talker and still not clearly hear what God is explaining to one.

 

Here is that same excerpt from the Holy Bible (KJV): :”And Moses said unto the Lord, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou has spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue. And the Lord said unto him, Who hath made man’s mouth? Or who maketh the dumb and deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the Lord? Now therefore go, and I will be thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say. And he said, O my Lord, send, I pray thee, by the hand of him whom thou wilt send. And the anger of the Lord was kindled against Moses, and he said, Is not Aaron the Levite thy brother? I know that he can speak well. And, also, behold, he cometh forth to meet thee: and when he seeth thee, he will be glad in his heart. And thou shalt speak unto him, and put words in his mouth: and I will be thy mouth, and with his mouth, and thou shalt be to him instead of God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment