Thursday, November 27, 2014

Decline In Cultural Literacy


Hillsdale College can serve as a terrific source and courses should you desire to become culturally literate. To read the great books, to study philosophy, history and political science, and economics and farming technique: interest in a million, superfluous, irrelevant subjects give you the enhanced intellectual capacity, the cognitive facts and framework for individuating, and leading a more fulfilling life.

As a courier, I deliver parts to store in exchange for a signature on the manifest sheet. We do not do it it electronically like UPS--we just do it the old fashioned way.

Yesterday, I asked a very nice young white guy in his early 20s for the signature. I told him to put his John Hancock on that manifest. He looked at me: he pouted a  little and replied, "I can put a fancy signature on it if you want to." I smoothed it over, by saying just any scribble would do. I thanked him and left, and he was fine with it all.

I am convinced that he  had no idea from history class what or whom I was referring to. A generation ago that salutation would have bewildered no one.

How are we going to fight the Left with their inimical, all-out assault on our marvellous heritage, our best American Way, when young adults have no appreciation of and fondness for their heritage? The Left has been so victorious in erasing knowledge of and loyalty to our traditional culture, that their battle is half won.

It saddens and staggers me to realize how large is the cultural loss of literacy. It may be irreparable, but I will not accept defeat. We few conservatives must rally the troops, teach the young, reinforce the resolves of the middle class to fight to preserve and extend our way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment