Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Laboratory Technician

The young, devout Muslim and Somali woman that dispatches drivers from the front desk of the hotel that I drive for is a smart, efficient, pleasant person. She graduated from Argosy with a certification as a Laboratory Technician.

She is finding it hard find work. She is seeking to get on with Mayo Clinic but the job is available only to residents of that city. I urged her to relocate immediately. She is versatile and industrious, working 7 days a week as a PCA and front desk hotel clerk.

Her cover letter to HR in Mayo was poorly written. Jane has rewritten or edited letters and college papers for African women at the hospital for free, as a favor, to help them pass classes. I told this young woman that my wife was a professional writer and an English teacher, so we would take the letter home and edit it for her.

I told her that I have a degree in English. I edited the letter and typed it up. Jane did a final check on it, and today I will give the letter back to the desk clerk.

It gives me much pleasure and satisfaction to see young people, of all stripes and genders, go after their dream. If my personal assistance, or psychology of maverizing can help them, I am there for them.

I was not kidding when I have written that if young, black males adopted my self-realization psychology, the world of opportunity, satisfaction and happiness would avail itself to them.

There is real opportunity in America, the best of all nations. One must believe that that is so, that one can make a difference, that one is worthy of success, and that one can make it come true if one applies oneself. There is morning in America for those that look for sunrise, not sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment