Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Simple Job That Keeps On Giving

Last Sunday night I was asked to work extra hours into the evening to cover for the 2nd shift driver that called off. I was sent to the Lindbergh Terminal to pick up a sole person. What a fascinating guy.

He looked German and was very fair, although his hair was brown. He was an average size man, about 5' 10", 175 pounds.  I asked him who he was, where he was from, and what he was doing here.

He is a veterinarian and a Spaniard. I had some trouble with his accent, but basically he travels North and some what South America selling devices and technology to facilitate the harvesting and transmission of pig semen for artificial breeding programs for the big hog producers.

His company is totally Spanish with world-class science and technology. The owners that he worked for were two Spanish brothers, and their company was one of the three top such companies in the world. He was in charge of their New World operations.

He was on the road a lot, away from his wife an two little girls back in Spain. I ask him how hard was that, and he admitted that it was not fun. He told me he has a responsibility to provide for them. He has survived two layoffs, one a company bankruptcy, before landing this job. He is getting it done to feed his family.

This man thrives and survives despite obstacles that life throws in front of him. I found him to be a winner, impressive, energetic and talented.

He was very polite, unuassuming and modest. He told me that he speaks Spanish, English and French, and can pick up Italian and Portuguese if there are not too many local words, and if the speaker slows down.

When he got off the shuttle, he gave me a five dollar tip. I thanked him and urged him to enjoy he got his rental car, and toured the Midwest. He looked me in the eye and nodded. Those set of eyes were some of the brightest and revealing a quick wit as I have ever seen.

People like this doctor make me feel good, that there is hope for humanity, that we can overcome and battle upwards to victory, despite all our challenges, all our set backs.

No comments:

Post a Comment