Wednesday, January 28, 2015

We Are Not Alone

I went deer hunting last November, and the neighboring hunters scared up a big buck that fled onto our property the first morning but I never saw another deer or took a shot the rest of the season.

Tonight at ten pm, I put Same out to do his final duty for the evening, and he started barking at something in the dark across the street. I saw no cars and no one walking.

Then I saw a 140 pound 4-point buck hurtling across the lawns towards 110th St. I watched him take an angled left as he was headed back to the river three blocks south.

We humans feel so  superior and in control. I believe it is just another one of our delusions.

Nature and her creatures keep bounding back, adapting to us, perhaps outlasting us. It should give us pause. We can disappear just like the Neanderthals did, even though we carry some of their genes.

No comments:

Post a Comment