Monday, June 23, 2014

Wanton Destruction

We have neighbors that are cutting 9 mature trees out of their lovely, shaded suburban yard. We are angry, sad, dumbfounded and seeking to make sense of it all. We also respect private property rights and accept that these neighbors can live in a near treeless yard if they so desire. They enjoy the right to be wrong.

When we moved here in 1997, the west side of the house was hot. Now our trees added to the depth of trees by this neighbor to the west to transform our lovely, peaceful, cool, quiet and private back yard into a home oasis.

Tonight the lumberjacks took out an ash tree (70 feet high and 3 feet in diameter) that was a tree to cherish.

I know this neighbor hates raking leaves and cleaning up fallen branches, so from his point of view, to take out most of the trees eliminates much of his yard work.

They are decent, hardworking people. They are joiners and partyers. They want everyone open and maximally exposed to their neighbors.

We are going to plant a wall of hybrid willows to give us a shelter belt of privacy. I will check with city hall to see how far in from the western fence is legal.

We will, by planting trees, help with CO2, gain a windbreak and cool the house again.

I am for humans dominating nature. But I love trees, growing things, farming and gardening. My political views make me anti-environmentalist. My Irish peasant love of all things green and natural makes me a tree hugger.

We humans are always a mass of contradictory sentiments, and here I am no exception. I want humans to rule nature and live off of nature without polluting, devouring, raping or gouging nature. We can have our cake and eat it too.

We need to teach conservatives to individuate so that most of them voluntarily practice responsible stewardship in regards to their private property. We do not want EPA, DNR or BLM enslaving humans to protect the environment. That cure is worse than the disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment