Monday, November 13, 2023

Exodus 15:1-2

 

After the escape from the Egyptians at the Red Sea, the Hebrews and Moses sang this canticle to Yahweh, their Lord and savior (These lines are from The New American Bible: “The Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the Lord:

 

I will sing to the Lord, for he is gloriously triumphant; horse and chariot he cast into the sea.

 

My strength and courage is the Lord, and he has been my savior. He is my God, I praise him; the God of my father, I extol him.”

 

My response: this canticle is a fine and fitting song of praise and appreciation from the Hebrews to God for saving and protecting them.

 

God is their strength and courage, and that metaphor is one we could remember and rely on today to help us face and surmount adversity.

 

The Hebrews also point out that God was the God of their father, so we too, I hope, pass our faith onto our children for they desperately need God in their lives tomorrow and 40 years from now.

 

Here are these same verses from the Holy Bible (KJV): “Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto then Lord, and spake, saying I will sing unto the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider he hath thrown into the sea.

 

The Lord is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him a habitation; my father’s God, and I will exalt him.”

 

My response: the 2nd reading claims God is the singer’s strength and song, not strength and courage. In this version, the singer will make Yahweh a habitation, likely in his heart and will build  a temple to honor the savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment