Friday, November 7, 2014

I Was Hasty

11-7-2014:

My  generalization about most Minnesotans not hunting deer anymore is generally right, but, I am a poor sociologist reaching too extreme a conclusion, based on a non-representative sample of non-deer hunters.

Yesterday, as a courier, I stopped at a warehouse in Eden Prarie, and the supervisor handed me his mail. I asked if he was going hunting this weekend. He said no because all his guys hunt, and all were going hunting, so he likely had to man the store on Saturday.

5% at my shop hunt, and 90% of this crew of about a dozen employees hunt. What a sociologist could do with that: how many and why members of a profession hunt or not would make a fascinating study into the correlation between values held, and the profession one selects.

It is obvious that courier drivers are not as macho, blue collar and loving hunting as are those men in warehouse and trades work--the work culture breeds a set of hunting behaviors, the norm for that group.

No comments:

Post a Comment