Thursday, September 18, 2014

A College Degree

Mike Gallagher opined this morning that a college degree is no longer necessary. He quoted some statistics that as late as four years ago 75% of Americans though having a degree was an optimal situation. Today only 44% think that way.

My take on this is rather neutral. One should not be bashful and reluctant to land a bachelor's degree or even a doctorate if that is one's life calling and love. Thirty years ago I moved to the Twin Cities to get a doctorate in philosophy from U of M. I never made it but that is not unexpected in hindsight. I hoped to land my PhDand then leave Academia to work blue collar and write. I knew at the age of 28 that I was a misfit in Academia, and putting up with the shenanigans of liberal, stuffy professors was not the life for me, They sensed my oddness and aversion to them, and it was a factor in my being rejected from the doctoral program.

Gallagher makes a point that one can now make a good living without a college degree. The liberal snobism against those that are non-credentialed seems to have decreased some.

I think the individual must decide for herself. If she wishes to be professional and credentialed, then she should move heaven and earth to acquire her degree. She should not borrow any more money that she has to to latch onto her diploma.

If one wishes to go into the world of business, the military or the trades, then other non-degree certifications should be sought and landed to maximize one's earning power. Even if one is not college-educated, part of the obligation for individuating is to be intellectually curious and alert, ever reading, discussing, observing and learning, for a life time.

In short, one should do what makes one happy. Get a degree if that is what one desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment